How to De-stress Starting With Your Workspace
Stress is common to a work place, especially when you have been doing routine work ever since you came to your company. It is unavoidable to feel this since every day, pressure builds up for most people.
Think of it as walking into a maze, although it may seem that you can get out of it easily, there is really more to it than meets the eye. Eventually, you will come out but before that grand victory, you will have to experience some unwanted detours along the way.
Relate this to work since this is pretty much the same. The whole work experience can be both smooth and rocky at the same time but it will all lead to your success unless, of course, you decide to give up in the middle of the course because you’re pressured by the people around you or the tasks given to you. So, in order to help yourself de-stress during work, you should follow these tips.
- Your desk is your home base – A messy workspace is not really conducive to a working environment. Although some people claim that they can live with it, they end up cleaning their tables at some point in time. If you are stressed out from work, you should definitely de-clutter. Not many people know but a mess can actually add to your feeling of stress since it can invade your personal space and make you feel unable to move. So, a clean desk can be refreshing at the end of the day.
- Being organized is not being “OC” – There is definitely nothing wrong with using post its or notes, being alphabetical or keeping everything in files. Although the kids of this generation may call it being “obsessive-compulsive” but being organized can actually help you get your work done. Have a to-do list every day and you will be able to see how you can fix your schedule and avoid stress.
- Something for your mouth – Coffee is considered as the healthiest beverage of them all. One cup in the morning can help stimulate your mind and help with productivity. At the same time, there are times when, in the middle of the day, you feel that your stomach is craving for something. Always have something like a cracker or a candy in handy. This way, you will be able to keep your mind working although you’re a tad hungry. Or, you can always have a bottle of water with you.
- Listen to your favorite tune – Not many people believe it but listening to music can actually help some people get through work. Listen to a bunch of songs you like or pick a genre where in your brain can work well. This may inspire you while working and keep you awake. At times, there are people who claim that listening to their favorite song calms them down. Try it.
(SEE ALSO: Walk Up: Steps on Leading a Stress-free Career)
How To Make The Most Out Of Your Breaks
When you’re given breaks, make the most out of them! This is your way to clear your mind and get some fresh air. Doing so will help you take your mind off of work for a while. Forgetting just a bit of what stresses you out can help. So, here are some ways in order to de-stress away from your desk.
- Socialize – Talking to your colleagues can shift your attention from stress to relaxation. There are studies which show that people who socialize with their workmates are definitely happier and stress free.
- Laughter – Take the time to laugh. This is related to socialization. However, you can find a good book to read. There are many ways to do this. Laughter, as cited by some researchers, has been effective in de-stressing a person.
- Dream on – Perhaps you have a long break. If you are in front of a computer for hours, you can rest your eyes by taking a short nap. When you wake up, you will definitely feel good as new. This way, stress will not have as much power on you as before.
- Breathe in some fresh air – People who are stuck in a cramped workspace all day will definitely need a shot of fresh air. Seeing trees and the blue sky can actually have a calming effect especially on those people who are stressed because of work. Inhale then exhale when working hard, your brain uses too much oxygen. Getting some fresh air can help refresh your mind for your next task.
So you see, you shouldn’t let stress get to you. There are ways to fight it. There are ways to help you finish your work without getting affected by pressure. Always make sure that you take a break. That will always be the key to de-stressing during work.